Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lobsters Respond

I can't believe that any self-respecting lobster wouldn't be tickled to be paired with a white Burgundy or a premium California chard. But I guess some just can't get past the boiling water part. Check out this guy from somewhere in St. George, Maine.


I love dry Yankee wit. But the old salts take some things very seriously, like how lobster should be prepared. The lobster fisherman who lives next door to the place in Maine where we stayed last week, swore that the only way to eat boiled lobster was to have it cooked in seaweater. And, the butter should be mixed with vinegar, white or balsamic, he insisted.

Now, having eaten lobster from lobster pounds along the coast for years -- where they use only seawater for boiling lobster -- I wholeheartedly agree that if you have access to seawater it makes the lobster even tastier. But I've got to part ways with our fisherman friend on the vinegar.

The lobster is good with the butter/vinegar combo. But the intense briny sweetness of fresh Maine lobster is lost when masked by vinegar. The sweet natural flavors come through better without the vinegar. Sans vinegar is best, in my book. And, of course, it's easier to match a wine without the vinegar. Need I say more?

2 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Erwin, I've tried lobster neat, but I prefer with butter -- quick dip, not immersion. It may not be perfect for delicate whites, but it is for rich whites. As for the secret sleep method, my wife, who has trouble sleeping, would like to know more!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Sam-e adderall Sisal weave area rugs Backpacks by columbia Downloadable game paintball jenna jameson free web

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home