Thursday, July 06, 2006

Media Convergence

When the wife and I were at the White Silo Winery in Connecticut last weekend, the subject of my last blog entry, we coincidentally were there at the same time as someone from AP. I half-heartedly agreed to let myself be photographed, for the story, sipping wine.


The story about the winery was published in yesterday's newspaper and, surprise, surprise -- they decided to use a photo of a young, very attractive couple at the wine bar, rather than this grizzled old winer. I understand that I'm not doing any marketer's supposed demographics any good, but my wife certainly deserves her shot. So, I thought I'd try to make amends (in the foreground, in front of the 20-somethings).

My more objective reaction to the story is that, while it's nice that the newspaper business is on to the growing wine culture phenomenon, I found it odd that AP decided to cover the explosion in interest by focusing on this particular winery. As the story notes, the number of wineries locally is growing, and consumers are getting out there and trying them.

But White Silo is anything but emblematic of the trend. It's a specialty winery producing nothing but fruit wines (non-grape) in a rustic, unadorned old barn. Nothing wrong with this, just like there's nothing wrong with any fresh farm products. But today's wineries typically sport lavish tasting room facilities and increasingly good wines.

I doubt this particular winery represents the future, so I found it an odd choice to be singled out. Still, I hope they enjoy their 15 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Sandy, sorry I didn't see your comments sooner. Delighted to hear from you -- wish we chatted at the winery. All I can really say is that in winetasting, you win some and you lose some. There are a lot worse ways to lose, however. We also visited Hopkins that same day, and that was definitely enjoyable. Check out my review 7/13. Hope you keep tasting -- there are some very good ones out there.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home