Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Red, White and Gold

I was delighted to read yesterday Dr. Konstantin Frank's Finger Lakes winery is swimming in gold for the 4th. This wonderful New York State winery took home the most gold medals of any winery this week at the Great Lakes wine competition in Michigan.


Hopefully, events liked this one will help convince the few skeptics left out there that the Finger Lakes region is producing some world class wine. I try not to put too much stock in wine competition medals, but the degree of success enjoyed these days by Dr. Frank is telling. They've been doing vinifera longer than anyone else in the Finger Lakes and it shows.

We were very impressed by Dr. Frank's wines when we visited in May, an occasion I blogged about soon afterward. But I have to confess to something here and now. I never tasted the 2005 cabernet sauvignon that just won double gold.

I advised, in one of my recent posts, that you're better off skipping the cabernet sauvignon at any Finger Lakes winery if you have a limited number of tasting choices. Most lack sophistication and body. I still think that's sound advice overall, but I'll admit you may miss an occasional jewel following this advice.

If you're willing to taste a lot of bad cabernet in the hopes of finding the occasional terrific one, go for it. I have to admit I'm curious as hell about the Dr. Frank cab I passed up, though I certainly don't regret tasting the others I chose. I wonder where the bulk of their cabernet grapes hail from?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lenn Thompson | LENNDEVOURS.com said...

I don't know this for sure, but my guess is that it's from Long Island :)

I've never had their cab either...as I think it's the only wine they make that they never include in the wines they send me.

11:43 AM  
Blogger JD said...

That's interesting. I'll bet that changes in the future. But then, maybe they won't have one as good for a long time.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home